We are delighted to announce the longlist for the 2019 Kill Your Darlings Unpublished Manuscript Award.
Now in its third year, this award was established to support the development of an early-career author, provide them with the opportunity to work with industry professionals, and assist them in creating publishing pathways in the future.
This year, the award attracted 143 entries from across Australia.
Congratulations to all those on the 2019 longlist:
- Dark Glass by Pamela Baker (Fiction)
- Wake by Shelley Burr (Fiction)
- The Covered Wife by Lisa Emanuel (Fiction)
- This American Carnage by Matt Millikan (Fiction)
- Lonesome Haul by Venita Munir (Fiction)
- Second Chance Luck by Anne So (Non-fiction)
- As Beautiful as Any Other by Kaya Wilson (Non-fiction)
- Eating with My Mouth Open by Sam van Zweden (Non-fiction)
The judges for the 2019 KYD Unpublished Manuscript Award are KYD Publishing Director Rebecca Starford, 2018 KYD Unpublished Manuscript Award winner Nicole McAlinden and Allen & Unwin publisher Jane Palfreyman.
The shortlist will be announced on 22 July. This year the inaugural KYD/Varuna Copyright Agency Fellowship will be awarded to all shortlisted writers. The winner of the KYD Unpublished Manuscript Award will also receive a cash prize of $4000.
This project is supported by the Copyright Agency’s Cultural Fund.