It is with great pleasure and excitement that we announce the longlist for the 2018 Kill Your Darlings Unpublished Manuscript Award.
This award is designed to support the development of an early-career author, provide them with the opportunity to work with industry professionals, and assist them in creating publishing pathways in the future.
The winner will receive $5000 in prize money, donated by Kill Your Darlings, and a mentorship with KYD’s Rebecca Starford (non-fiction) or Hannah Kent (fiction).
This year, the award attracted 166 entries from across Australia.
Congratulations to all those on the 2018 longlist:
- Blindside by Beth Amos
- The Eulogy by Jacqueliene Bailey
- Behind the Lines by Michael Burrows
- The Wrecked Republic by Mikaella Clements
- What in Me is Dark by Allan Drew
- Every Shiny Thing by Keren Heenan
- Little Did I Know by Nicole McAlinden
- An Onslaught of Light by Natasha Rai
- The Wife of a Soldier by Brian Raynor
- Pretty Roadkill by M. L. Siemienowicz
- Vine by Jasmin Taylor
- Sedition by Marisa Wikramanayake
The judges for the KYD Unpublished Manuscript Award are Hannah Kent (author and KYD publishing director), Rebecca Starford (author and KYD publishing director), Pippa Masson (literary agent at Curtis Brown) and senior KYD editorial staff.
The shortlist will be announced on 22 June, and the overall winner of the KYD Unpublished Manuscript Award on 6 July.