Here at KYD we love our wonderful members – you are the reason we can continue to publish great Australian writing, including this week’s Northern Territory Showcase. That’s why, to say thanks for your support, we’re giving all new and current NT-based KYD Members the chance to win one of two double passes to see A Smoke Social at Browns Mart Theatre (Darwin), in June.
In Darwin during World War I, ‘smoke social’ parties were staged to farewell enlisting soldiers. They featured Vaudeville routines, songs, poetry and brass bands. A Smoke Social re-creates one of these parties, inviting audiences to participate as they did a hundred years ago in the original venue where these socials were staged – nowadays known as the ‘Town Hall Ruins’.
A Smoke Social leaps ahead to the Palestinian front where two Darwin brothers – one Indigenous and one non-Indigenous – have been abandoned. Inspired by real events, A Smoke Social addresses global and ‘frontier’ wars, colonialism and brotherly love. In A Smoke Social, the political is always deeply personal.
To be entered into the draw automatically, simply purchase a new KYD Membership from just $17.50. Current members, simply email your name and contact details to [email protected] with the subject line ‘A Smoke Social’ to enter.
KYD Membership offers you:
- Full access to premium member content, including the complete digital archive
- Weekly curated emails delivered direct to your inbox
- Automatic entry to members-only giveaways
- Entry to the KYD Unpublished Manuscript Award and the KYD New Critic Award
- Discounts on all tickets to KYD Writers’ Workshops
- Discounts on all KYD manuscript and short story assessments
- Invitations to members-only events and parties
- Ability to submit and pitch your writing
- Warm-fuzzies for supporting independent Australian publishing!
Entries close 11:59pm ACST Sunday 20 May.