All this week on KYD we’ve been featuring brilliant new writing by Western Australians writing from and about their home. You can catch up with our WA showcase here. If you’re hungry for more great Western Australian writing then please see below for a special books giveaway from Fremantle Press!
Established in 1976, Fremantle Press is renowned for producing quality works of fiction, non-fiction, poetry and children’s literature. Their core purpose is to identify talented new and emerging Western Australian writers and artists, and to publish and distribute their work to the widest possible audience.
We have three sets of debut titles from new and emerging Western Australian writers to give away to new and current KYD members. They include:
- Spinifex and Sunflowers by Avan Judd Stallard
- The Valley by Steve Hawke
- Vodka and Apple Juice by Jay Martin
Written by a former guard, Spinifex and Sunflowers is a powerful tale about what it’s like behind the walls of a detention centre. This harrowing, on-the-ground account should be read by any Australian with a conscience.
In The Valley a murder in the remote bush in 1916 sparks a chain of events that will haunt a family for generations. It is both a mystery story and a masterfully told epic of the Kimberley.
Vodka and Apple Juice: Travels of an Undiplomatic Wife in Poland won the 2016 City of Fremantle T.A.G. Hungerford Award for Best Unpublished Manuscript. When Jay’s husband lands a diplomatic job, she shelves her corporate wardrobe and throws herself into life as an embassy wife coming to grips with quirky, fascinating Poland, with its impenetrable language and unfathomable customs.
To be entered into the draw automatically, simply purchase or renew a KYD Membership from just $17.50. Current members, simply email your name and contact details to [email protected] with the subject line ‘Fremantle Press’ to enter.
KYD Membership offers you:
- Full access to premium member content, including the complete digital archive
- Weekly curated emails delivered direct to your inbox
- Automatic entry to members-only giveaways
- Entry to the KYD Unpublished Manuscript Award and the KYD New Critic Award
- Discounts on all tickets to KYD Writers’ Workshops
- Discounts on all KYD manuscript and short story assessments
- Invitations to members-only events and parties
- Ability to submit and pitch your writing
- Warm-fuzzies for supporting independent Australian publishing!
Entries close midnight AEDT Sunday 7 October.